Recess Volunteers Wanted!
We are looking for parent/guardian volunteers during recess after lunch for all grades. Together we can ensure safe and healthy play time at Flynn!
Download a flyer: [ENGLISH] [SPANISH] with detailed information and a place to fill in what days and times you can volunteer. Please return completed flyers to the "Room Parent" mailbox in the office. Thank you!
Get Involved at Flynn!
Family participation at school improves children’s success and helps to make our school even better. Stop by the Flynn Parent Center to find out what’s going on. Also check the bulletin boards on the first floor central breezeway and hallways for information on up and coming events, School Site Council, ELAC and PTA information. Here are some ways that you can get involved at Flynn:
- Attend parent/teacher conferences and stay in touch with your child’s teacher: Keeping in touch with the teacher shows your child that his/her education is important to you and allows you and the teacher to solve any small problems before they become big ones.
- Volunteer in the classroom: Teachers welcome parents who can volunteer in their classrooms preparing materials, reading with children, or helping with class activities, parties or field trips. Even if you can only come one hour a month, we encourage you to volunteer in the classroom on a regular basis. Talk to your child’s teacher about when would be a good time to volunteer.
- Help supervise the cafeteria or playground: Your child will love to see you at lunch or recess, and you can be a huge help to the lunch and recess supervisors. See Assistant Principal Woods WoodsT@sfsu.edu for more information
- Volunteer in the Office or Library Talk to staff in these area or our Parent Liaison (Araceli) to find out how you can help.
- Read all communication from the school that comes home in the Wednesday envelope: Stay informed by reading the notices your child brings home as well as attending parent meetings and principal chats regularly. By doing so, you will know what is happening at school and your voice can be heard.
- Bring your child to family activities: It shows your child how important you think his/her education is when you come to a school performance or event. At Flynn, we have many activities during the year that give parents a chance to have fun with their kids and meet other families from Flynn.
- Join the Flynn listserve to discuss issues and ask questions online to members of the Flynn community at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrflynn_sf. Also check out our Flynn Facebook page.
- Join the Flynn Parent Teacher Association (PTA): Help plan events and fundraisers to strengthen our school community and raise money for projects and activities that benefit our kids. PTA membership is open to all parents/guardians, school administrative staff and faculty. The PTA at Flynn is a child-advocacy body that meets monthly. PTA meetings are held the second Tuesday of the month in the cafeteria from 6:00-7:30 pm, childcare and dinner are provided.
The PTA supports several committees that help in classroom and fundraising activities:
- Room Parents
- PTA Membership Drive Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Grants Committee
- Arts Committee
- Come to the first PTA meeting to learn more!
- Join the English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC): ELAC is a parent-led advisory organization whose main purpose is to assess and address the needs of students who are learning English language skills at Flynn. ELAC is comprised mainly of the parents of English language learners, but includes the principal and a teacher representative. The parent members confer with the principal and staff regarding student progress in English and the appropriate use of funding designated for English Language Learners. The percentage of parents of English learners on the committee should be at least as high as the percentage of English learners at the school.
- Be a member of the School Site Council (SSC): The main task of the SSC is to oversee the development, refinement and improvement of the school’s Academic Plan and to make decisions about the budget and school programs. All parents are welcome to attend. If you are interested in being a voting member, please talk with the principal or current SSC members (listed on the Flynn website).