We are thrilled that you and your family are considering Leonard Flynn Elementary! We will be offering one school tour offered this spring:
DATE: Wed. April 12
MEETING LOCATION: West Yard, just inside the Harrison Street Entrance
How long are the tours? Tours meet at 8:45am and go for about an hour and a half
Where do I meet my tour guide? On the yard just inside the Harrison Street Entrance
- Is an appointment necessary? No appointment or reservation is necessary.
2016-2017 Tour Dates
Wed, October 19
Wed, November 2
Wed, December 14
Wed, January 4
The timing of the slideshow is fast, you can Pause the photos to read the text. There is a Pause button on the lower right corner of the slideshow.
About Student Population, Recess, Community, After School
SFUSD Enrollment Guide
The Enrollment Guide explains how to enroll in the San Francisco Unified School District and offers some highlights of the services and opportunities available to students. Get the new SFUSD enrollment guide here.
What is the breakdown of the student population?
- 65% Latino
- 9% African-American
- 15% Caucasian
- 10% Other
Recess & Lunch
What is lunch like? Do the children eat together?
- All students at Flynn receive free breakfast and lunch.
- The children eat together, with three different lunch times for the school (Kinder & 1st together, 2nd & 3rd together, and 4th & 5th together).
- Health Eating is Our Motto: We want to create a healthy food atmosphere and encourage healthy eating; families are asked not to include prepackaged foods (such as “Lunchables”), chips & sodas.
How many recesses will my child get a day?
Do the kids in different grades play together in the yard?
- Play areas are split up by time and location so that the 5th grade kids aren’t playing in the same space as the kindergarteners.
Do the kids from Spanish Immersion interact with the kids from the GE program?
- Recess and lunch are combined, as well as some assemblies and field trips. But, the classes are not combined.
Library / Curriculum
How much access do the kids have to the computers in the library?
- Every other week during their classroom library visit
What can you tell me about the curriculum?
- Science: Inquiry through Sciences/Social Studies. Flynn is part of the District’s WISE (Working to Improve Science Education) program since 2004. This program focuses on providing teachers with the support, resources and training necessary to implement science instruction all year long.
- We are also working in collaboration with the Mission Science Workshop. Each class will go on one or two field trips to the Mission Science Workshop. Workshops reflect curriculum and science standards for each grade.
- Balanced Literacy: This year our teachers are working with the principal to implement the Balance Literacy approach.
- Common Core Curriculum for Math
Community & Problem Resolution
What is the school’s relationship with the LGBT community?
- We feel we are a true San Francisco-style school: Multilingual, diverse and open minded...we have teachers and staff of all backgrounds, LGBT families, and welcome all kinds of families (via Our Family meetings and through our interactions with the Bernal Heights community - for example at the Cortland Street fair). We truly want Flynn to be representative of the community and our city.
What is the school doing to ensure there is a good relationship between the Spanish speaking and non-Spanish speaking families?
We strive ensure language is not a barrier to parents working together to improve the educational experience of ALL children.
- All literature sent to parents is in both languages.
- PTA meetings are alternately held in Spanish and English with headphone translation.
While still a work in progress, efforts are being made to ensure that Flynn is representative of our community and that all families are welcome at Flynn and are able to participate in our community without barrier.
After School Programs
Please go to our page about the after school programs for more information.
How do I enter Flynn?
- Your interaction with Flynn will generally be from Harrison Street, and if you drive here, you will either park on Precita Park, or go through the “Drive Through” drop off area on Harrison.
Is access to the school secure? I'm concerned because Flynn is on busy Cesar Chavez.
- Students and visitors enter Flynn through the gate on Harrison Street. Access from Cesar Chavez is watched closely by teachers and parents at school. Younger children are excused from classrooms (to go to the restroom or office, for example) in pairs only.